Friday, July 24, 2009

Working out

Well, it's been about 2 and a half months since I last worked out. It's amazing how much you can forget in that time...like how much you think you'd feel better if you didn't have any arms after doing bench press.

Charleen and I were working out on MWF for about 3 months. It was nice, max weights were going up. We were keeping each other working out. I got my bench max up to about 130 lbs. I say about because the bench set I have only goes up to a max of 96 lbs. Using an online calculator, that gives an estimate of having a max somewhere between 120 and 130 with being able to do 10 reps of 96lbs. Personally I prefer to go by a 5 rep max, but I just don't have the weight.

Anyway, we were going along great and then a trip hit us...and then something else came up the next week...most of you know where that lead to. Like anything else that we know is good for us but takes effort, it's really easy to fall off track. So, I'm going to start using the blog to try to keep myself accountable. TY Dammerung for the idea. I did curls and bench on Wednesday and today. I'll take the weekend off and then continue with a MWF schedule.

Finally, I'll end with a request. Does anyone know of any other exercises that I can do using the bench or the bench weights? I used to do millitary press a few months ago, but I stopped after it was causing my shoulder constant pain. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions. Once we have the money, I plan to apply for a gym membership so I can do a more thorough workout. Squat was my favorite in HS since all my strength is in my legs. Anyway, before I ramble on too much I'll leave it at that. That should get a little more orange on the front page for Charleen. =D

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain of falling off the wagon. I recently separated from the AF and moved to another state, and beginning a new job. This resulted in about 2 months of "life disruption", and no working out. I am just getting back to a more normal schedule now. It's hard...

    BTW I follow the http://www.crossfit.com/ program. One benefit is the daily posted workout.

    I also had a pretty bad shoulder injury last time I was in Iraq and am unable to complete the traditional bench press workout movements. Advantage of Crossfit is that it uses large compound muscle movements which if done properly decrease the stress on one particular joint. I try to tell everyone I know about this as it has helped me alot.

    ReplyDelete