Wednesday, May 23, 2012

New Hair

Blargh. I kept meaning to write this post, but putting it off because I wanted to get a good picture to go with it, but now I have ANOTHER post that I want to write, and I know from past experience that if I skip over one intended post and move onto another, the original post will just never happen. (The non-existent NYC trip of fall 2011, anyone?)

So . . . anyway, the picture isn't really important, because I'm not really asking opinions, I'm just sort of voicing my own thoughts on the subject. My own thoughts aren't likely to change if I post a picture and get a ton of people commenting back that, "Oh, it looks so cute!" Partly because I'll assume everyone's lying anyway. So, it's actually probably better if I don't post a picture.

I recently got my hair cut pretty short. I've been working toward this point in stages, sort of. Back in October (actually it was shortly after that NYC trip that totally happened, even though neither of us ever posted pictures, or even a short description of our trip), I got it cut from just past shoulder length to about chin length. Then a month or so ago I got it cut . . . not really any shorter than that, but more just shaped differently, with more layers and texturizing to cut out the extra bulk. And then about a week after that I decided that I liked the new style but I'd actually been hoping to go a little shorter (I had basically walked into the salon and said, "I want it short; I don't want it Emma Watson short; do whatever you want") so I went to the Cost Cutters in the mall and got about another inch taken off all around. And . . . well, that's when I started to wonder if that was really a good idea.

See, I'm really not all that fussy with my hair. So even though I'm questioning this current style, I really don't care all that much. It'll grow back. Probably quicker than I want it to. Because the thing is, even though I'm not super crazy on how it looks, I love how it feels. And, I don't have to look at my hair, so what do I really care?

That's the thing I keep coming back to. I mean, I should care. I obviously don't want it to look terrible. That's pretty much the only reason I haven't gone all GI-Jane on it, because I know that I can't pull off that look. But when I pretty much go all day without really looking at it or thinking about it, and I don't get crazy stares every time I go out . . . well, that's good enough for me.

Really the problem is that my hair is so thick. There are a lot of cute short hairstyles, but they just don't necessarily work for my hair. This is probably the best compromise between what I want and what my hair will allow.

Anyway, this is kinda why I wanted a picture, not so you can all reassure me that it looks fine, but so that you wouldn't be trying to imagine all sorts of crazy things. I'll add one later, I just never think about it when I'm actually looking presentable.

I think the most frustrating thing is that I'd have more options if it weren't so thick . . . but if it weren't so thick then I wouldn't mind it being longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment