Monday, September 24, 2012

Courtesy of the Insatiable Booksluts

Okay, so I know that Pat's Bears post is coming later today (probably) but I just can't NOT share this.

So, there's this pretty sweet book blog, The Insatiable Booksluts. How do you know it's pretty sweet? They review primarily literary fiction. I read primarily . . . well, as I mentioned last time, I read a lot of various things, but literary fiction is definitely toward the bottom of the list. And yet, I still love this blog. Their tagline is, "Voracious readers tell you if that book is going to suck." I mean, come on, how do you not want to read a blog like that?

Anyway, in honor of Stephen King's 65th birthday, all last week was Stephen King week over there. I never read Stephen King until a couple years ago, while I was working at Borders when Under the Dome came out, and got curious. For the record, Under the Dome is NOT the book to start with. (What should you start with? That's coming up . . .) But, while it didn't blow me away, it wasn't terrible, which is good. Otherwise my Stephen King experience might have been over before it started.

I've read a few other of his books since then -- The Stand, Misery, and most recently The Shining -- and have come to really like him. But he has SO MANY BOOKS! And he writes such varied things; he ISN'T just horror. I used to assume he was, and then was flabbergasted when I found out that he wrote the story on which The Shawshank Redemption was based. Fantastic movie. Definitely not horror.

Anyway, this is getting longer than I meant it to be, but basically, the final post of Stephen King week is the one that I've been waiting for. The Insatiable Booksluts' Guide to Reading Stephen King (or, where to start if you're new). (That's me! I'm new! Not brand new, I guess, but still very much a King neophyte.)




This is an absolutely fabulous roundup. I am so grateful to the Booksluts for sharing their King expertise. I've already added several of these to my TBR, and while I was already planning on reading more King, this will hopefully help me zero in on the ones I have the best chance of enjoying.

So, if you haven't read anything by Stephen King, you should give him a shot. I'm certainly glad I did, and as you can see above, there's a lot to choose from. If you're already a King fan, check out the rest of Stephen King week, over at Insatiable Booksluts. And, if you've already given King a fair shot and he's just not your cup of tea, then . . . um . . . sorry for wasting your time. (Except not really, because it's my blog, and you can leave any time you want.)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, Stephen King. Once upon a time I read Pet Semetary and was vastly disappointed so I never gave him another try. I'm curios about The Shining though, mostly because of Friends :D

    The blog sounds very cool, will have to check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete