Thursday, December 20, 2012

December Reading

Doing this one a bit early. I would hate for the world to end without telling you all what I read in my final days.


Actually, it's because we're heading out of town this weekend and won't be back until the new year. Not that I won't have internet access, but we have lots of plans that don't involve the computer, and I don't feel like squeezing a post in there somewhere. Also, I'm pretty much done reading for the year; it's hard to find snatches of time and a quiet space when I'm away from home.

Anyway, here's what I've been reading since last time:

City of Screams, by James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell (3 stars*)
Power Down, by Ben Coes (4 stars)
The Human Disguise, by James O'Neal (3 stars)
Coup d'Etat, by Ben Coes (4 stars)
The Last Refuge, by Ben Coes (3 stars)
Dead Witch Walking, by Kim Harrison (3 stars)
The Forgotten, by David Baldacci (3 stars)



Really quick, about the City of Screams rating . . . it was actually really good, better than you might infer from a 3-star rating. The thing is, I find it hard to rate short stories higher than that, just because they feel so incomplete compared to novels.

On the whole, my books this month were all pretty enjoyable. No real stinkers, although nothing that quite rivals any of my top picks for 2012 either.

Looking ahead . . .

One book that I'm super excited about (but am waiting until next year when we're back home so I can really enjoy it) is City of Dark Magic. I saw an ad for it on GR, added it to my TBR because it looked interesting, and then the next day stumbled onto a blog giveaway, and I was picked as a winner! I already got it in the mail, which is way quicker than I've ever gotten a giveaway before, so kudos to Penguin for that.

I'll also be reading The Blood Gospel as soon as it comes out (sick of hearing about it yet?). I'm on the hold list at the library for the most recent Preston/Child novel, Two Graves, but first I still need to read last year's Cold Vengeance, which I purposely put off till this one came out because I knew it was a cliffhanger. Of course, there are many, many more titles on my ever-growing TBR, but those are the ones I'll hit first.

So . . . what have you been reading lately?
And what's on your list for next year?

1 comment:

  1. I'm currently reading Song Yet Sung by James McBride. It is an historical fiction from pre-Civil War era, involving the Underground Railroad. I am half finished, and so far it is a great read.-Marilyn

    ReplyDelete